Re: technique vs. expression

---------

From: Fran Marze (fmaiu+_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 16:51:43 PST

Wow, this was a very heavy comment about teachers who try and control
their students' expression. I have to agree that art teachers do tread a
line line between trying to encourage, help students stretch, improve,
take criticism well that is meant to help while not letting them be
satisfied with anything less than their best work. We ahve to teach
technique and skill improvement but without squashing students' inate urge
to create. Sometimes, too, we have to allow some less than wonderful
expressions so the student can grow at his own pace.

I remember being a high school freshman taking an after school class where
a teacher used me as an example: i was the "rough apple" and Polly was the
"smooth apple" I'm sure he was trying to show different types of drawing.
I suppose he must have been right even though I was hurt at the time.
Polly is a nun teaching in a Catholic school for the deaf; I'm the mother
of five
sons teaching in a public school. And still somewhat of a rough apple.

Let's all try to see students through their own eyes, not through our own.

Tough job. Fran

---