Re: technique vs. expression

---------

From: Art Sherwyn (art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 10:18:45 PST

Peter,
    I had to read my email again to see where you got that impression of my response, and I made an error in one sentence that makes a big difference in the what I said and what I meant. The line should have said that "technique without expression does not make sense, You are totally right in what you say. Expression builds character and joy of art, technique makes you a better player. I believe that when we train kids in anything we should develop character before talent, and when you supply them with exercises that are heavily expressive as you are, you're starting them on a foundation that will never wane.
    You made an excellent and experienced point, Peter. I'm sorry if I was misunderstood, my writing skills sometimes do not coincide with my thinking skills. Expression at all ages is paramount, especially at the elementary level. In fact, I imagine that at the elementary level expression is at its purest. Keep doing what you're doing, you have the right attitude.
ART