Re: technique vs. expression

---------

From: Art Sherwyn (art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 09:23:39 PST

Hello,
    I've been reading a lot of responses rergarding techinique vs.
expression. I'll sum up my thoughts very simply to keep this short.
Expression without technique does not make sense to me. Expression builds
the character, technique builds talent. "In the end I believe that true
artists create emotion not information." Yet, the emotional impact can be
much greater if the artist has good technical skills.
    You probably notice that when the projects are creative, the students
are smiling, and when the projects are technical the students are serious.
Our students, depending on their age can stay serious for only so long. If
you don't bring in the lessons on creativity you will eventually lose their
spirits.
    I better stop now because when they get long they seem to get deleted.
Less is more.
    Art