Re: Tie-Dye and Caribbean

---------

From: Patricia Nelson (nelsonpatriciav_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 22:57:49 PST

Kool-aid works very well for a nice pastel color. Any mom would tell you that it doesn't come out of clothes very well. We used it to dye wool. It also worked well on synthetic fibers. One lady in my class wove enough hand-spun wool to make a jacket. We also dyed hand- spun wool in my fiber class at college using a mordant of Copper, Tin, Chrome, Iron, or alum, with various natural substances. I only remember the dried red bugs, cochineal, from South America (which the Incas used to get a vibrant red color).

  Rick <rlarson@tls.net> wrote:

It has been years since I tie dyed but I used the dylon cold water dyes and
Cotton white tees. They turned out well, but the colors were so-so. Now they
have great dyes that come in jars that are specifically for tye-dying. I've
seen them at Wal-mart. My suggestion is to stick with cotton for best results,
and get a jar of the new stuff and read the directions. I'll check at school for
Caribbean stuff. but until then, check Crizmac on the web for ideas. Betsy