Re: technique vs. expression

---------

From: Bill Sechler (BillSe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 08:02:52 PST

I am an art teacher that teaches technique, the how tos and what nots but I also know that technique concerns can sometimes stifle expression. Many children come into my class not knowing the difference between spontaneity and ignorance or creativity and expression. I teach art as a verb not a noun, there is no Chinese word for art, they use the phrase "beautiful skill" and that sums up my philosophy also, art involves skill and knowledge accompanied by diligent practice. I teach archival methods and stress knowledge of the craft of painting and drawing, I have students who feel and have the impression that skills in art do not need the aid of books or masters (artist examples) and I usually start instruction with these types by reminding them that even cavemen had tradition and style in their arts and handed them down to subsequent generations. The "dark ages" were a true period of arts lost and life was a survival mode only without the aesthetics. Thank goodness for the Renaissance when the arts and scienc
e revived all the world to reason.

---