Tie-Dye and Caribbean

---------

From: J Georg (jessica_georg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 12:34:32 PST

Two questions:
First, do any of you have any suggestions for Tie-Dye? The fifth grade
teachers here have been asking me and I don't know what to tell them, having
had little success myself. I just finished a small batch that looked great
at first, but after one washing left me with an assortment of pink shirts.
The teachers will be doing this with all fifth graders (about 150), so I am
interested in knowing dye brands which work well and can be purchased in
large quantities. Also, I need suggestions for color-fastness. The
instructions on store-bought brands just are not effective.

Secondly, the sixth grade teachers are asking for me to be involved again in
their annual thematic unit, the Caribbean. I love integrating and would
like to be involved, but their objectives often seem to be "having nice
things to decorate the walls". I need some "sure thing" suggestions that I
can present as possible art lessons. I want to stand firm on not being
involved if the result is a crafty activity using "art" supplies. The
problem is that I could end up having groups as large as 50 and the time may
be limited to as few as three 40 minute periods. Any ideas of relevant
Caribbean art lessons that could be successful with these constraints?

Thanks!
Jessica in PA