technique vs. expression

---------

From: Chayne Lamoreaux (cklamx_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 19:23:34 PST

I'm a senior art education major at Emporia State University in Kansas and i
was wondering-
which, should we as educators, focus more on in the classroom technique or
expression? Or is there a way to intertwine them evenly.?
If one focusses on technique too strongly do the kids lose their creativity?
If one focusses on expression too strongly do the kids not get the exposure
they need to technique? I feel that you can talk about technique when
looking at students' artwork and hopefully the more developed their
techniques are the more developed and pronounced their expression and
creativity will be.
Chayne L.