Re: Self-portraits and success

---------

From: Betty Bowen (aunthoppy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 08:22:38 PST

I like the worksheet idea. They hate worksheets, having done loads of them
with a previous teacher (the one who hung no art) - same reason they hate
the textbook, but maybe they would do one for me.

I had intended to have "everybody" photographed before we started, and
thought I had, but we have a really transient population. Several I
photographed have been suspended/arrested/truant ever since, so no way
they will all finish. I'm really pleased with how they are coming
along...the ones who are doing it that is. One kid did fine for the first
few rows, then just drew a big smiley face in the middle and hasn't been
to class since.

We are doing color separations preparing to screenprint also - so they are
working on one or the other, and that has worked out well. It gives them a
break from the grid, and gives us all time to get at the same "place" in
the stencil prep process before we start to print.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll try to photograph some of them when they
are done.

Betty - And the Georgia O'Keefe-like pieces are amazing too.

---