Philosophy of art education (from trees?)

---------

From: The Erickson's (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 07:21:23 PST

Carolyn, Thanks for the validation. I too think "learning to see" is the
key to getting kids turned on to art. But not restricted to realism. It is
learning to see inside yourself too.
In my opinion that is what we should focus on in elementary.

Junior High is a time for exposure to media and learning technique. And to
better understand how to take what we see and meld it with media and
technique.

 And I like Larry's philosophy for high school-mentoring and encouraging
kids to develop a passion and that deep desire to create and express, then
giving them more exposure to media and more techniques so they can find
their own unique ways to express that passion.

Gee curriculum in a nutshell but as big as the sky in potential!

Cindy E.

> Cindy E...now THIS is the way to teach children how to draw something. They
> need to
> SEE it! You're teaching them to see...and that's what drawing is all about.
> Learning to
> see.
> Carolyn Roberts

---