Re: Formula for good trees

---------

From: The Erickson's (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 16:19:56 PST

Here is one I have done with 1st, 2nd, 3rd :

Have students fold a 12" x 18" piece of white paper in half. On 1/2 of the
paper ask them to draw with a pencil a picture of a tree. Do not give any
more instructions just tell them to do the best you can. Give them about 5
minutes.

Then take the whole class outside to examine a tree (preferably a large,
beautiful one). Drag along the paper and the pencils. Seat the students on
the ground and talk about the roots for about a minute, then the trunk for
about 2 minutes. Describe the size, the texture, the function, everything
you can think of. Then discuss the limbs. Talk about their proportion in
relation to the trunk. Next the branches. Note how many branches come off
of each limb. Finally discuss the twigs and the leaves (if there are any).
Be sure to point out how far the twigs and leaves are away from the trunk.
Walk from the trunk to the furthest reach of the tree pointing out how far
out it stretches.

Ask the students to NOW draw a tree on the other half of the paper while
looking at this wonderful tree. I guarantee fantastic results. The kids
love to see their own "before and after" drawings. It's a great lesson in
"learning to see" and you can refer back to it if you ever see those
lollipops begin to reappear.

Happy Spring!
Cindy E.

---