Formula for good trees

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 15:20:04 PST

I have devised a formula for good trees. No more trunks and sticks! Here
goes...Draw a trunk...at top of trunk, in the middle of the two lines, make
a V. Bring the outside edge of the trunk up a little parrellel to a line
going up from one side of the V. Do the same with the other side of the
trunk and the other side of the V. Now you have 2 thick branches each half
the width of the trunk. Then put a V in the middle of each of the 2 new
branches. Repeat step 1 only now you will make 4 branches. Are you with me.
I really wish I could show you. Now, put a V at the top of your four
branches. Repeat growing tree by lengthening the outside of the branch and
the V. Now you will have 8 branches.At this point it is o.k. to make the
little the little stick branches at the top of the tree. I call this a tree
by 3 layers of V's. It helps to get to the smaller branches slowly. We did
these trees on a second grade landscape project. After practicing some
trees, I had them draw several trees on a collage landscape project we had
prepared. We made small trees on the farthest hills first. Then on the
middle ground, they drew some more trees a little bigger, they might overlap
some trees in the background. Then they made 1 or 2 trees in the foreground.
These were really big. They might go all the way up and go over the
background. MJ