citric acid for bath bombs

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 14:18:09 PST

Here's a place to get citric acid for those bath bomb activities.

http://www.brambleberry.com/supplies.html

1 pound. - $2.50

I'm sure there are other places to buy the stuff, but I know these people,
so it seems like a good place to start!
MaryAnn

MaryAnn F. Kohl
Bright Ring Publishing, Inc.
PO Box 31338
Bellingham, WA 98228-3338
  360-734-1601
 360-676-1271 fax
      maryann@brightring.com
    http://www.brightring.com

From this website... some bath fun:::::
http://www.teachsoap.com/bombs.html

Bath Bombs (and other FUN bathtime projects for kids AND grownups!)

Bath Bombs are like giant Alka-seltzers for your bath - they spin, whirl and
swirl in your bath while releasing scent and skin-softening agents. They
make bath time SUPER fun!

You will need:
1/3 part citric acid
2/3 parts baking soda
Witch Hazel

BLEND BLEND BLEND BLEND the citric acid and baking soda ­ this step is super
important ­ if you donıt blend well, you end up with a grainy bomb. We
actually use a mixer on our larger batches. Once youıve blended really well,
add your colorant. Dry pigments work best ­ donıt add too much though ­ the
color shows up once you add the witch hazel. Add your fragrance oils to your
personal nose preference. Now, this is the difficult part. Spritz (with a
squirt bottle) the witch hazel onto your batch while stirring with the
other hand. When your batch sticks together when squished, you need to start
putting it in molds ­ time is of the essence. If you wait too long, the
mixture will get hard. If you spritz too much, the mixture will be too wet
and ³grow² (start the fizzing reaction) on you. Put the bombs in molds ­
wait a few minutes and tap them out. Let them air dry for 3 or 4 hours and
voila! Wonderful, hard bath bombs. The harder you pack the bath bombs, the
more dense, heavy, and durable bomb you will get.

For an extra moisturizing Bath Fizzy, try this recipe:
1 cup citric acid
2 cups baking soda
1 tsp. fragrance oil
1 tsp. olive oil (or cocoa butter)
Follow the basic bath bomb directions above and drizzle the olive oil in
with the fragrance oil. If you want to substitute some of the baking soda,
you can substitute up to 1 full cup with dehydrated milk (goat's milk or
regular milk). If you want a colored bath, add powdered food coloring or
liquid food coloring. If you add 1/2 tsp. of liquid food coloring to the
basic recipe, this should give you a colored bath. If you add 1/8 tsp.
powdered food coloring to the basic recipe, you will get a wonderfully
vibrant tub. If your tub is dirty, or has excess oil in it, this recipe will
leave a ring around your tub. Happy Soaping!

---