film canister kaleidoscopes ?

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 20:40:25 PST

I went to a workshop once on how to make kaleidoscopes with black film
canisters (2) and microscope slides (3). Three slides arranged in a triangle
will fit longways inside the two canisters- this forms the reflective surface
inside. The slides can just be wedged in there and the two canisters can be
taped together with black electrical tape. That much of the idea worked really
well. The really tricky part was getting the eye hole in the bottom of one
film canister and the large hole in the bottom of the other. Then they used a
clear plastic yogurt lid and glued on small tissue paper shapes. This was to
make a wheel to turn- as I recall, a straight pin was pushed through the center
of the lid and then the pin was taped to the side if the canister with more
black tape. This part of the mechanism was less than satisfactory.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make cutting film canisters easier and on
how to better resolve the "turning colored shapes" part?

Susan Holland
Visual Art Studies
University of Texas at Austin
susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu