Re: help !! Ideas needed for Elementary Family Art Night , please !!

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 18:15:49 PST

>Subject: help !! Ideas needed for Elementary Family Art Night , please !!

We had an art night at our school last Tuesday. It was based on the
landscapes of Thomas Moran. An exhibit of his watercolors is at the Frick
Museum in Pittsburgh, PA. Two ladies from the Frick came out to halp with
the evening, but you could do it yourself. They made a gride of a landscape
painting on the wall of our cafeteria with red tape. Then after a short
discussion of landscapes, each family made a warm and cool landscape on an
8"x8" square of construction paper. If they had a yellow 8x8 then they were
to keep to warm colors. If they had blue or green they would keep to cool
colors. The finished mural was 8'x25' and very impressive!

Also... last year we did the prehistoric rock art pins. We made little
'rocks' of white clay( not fired). We sponged them with brown and black
underglaze on both sides. At the art night, we had handout that gave many
ideas of prehistoric art on them. Everyone carved a design into one side of
the clay through the underglaze showing the white clay underneath. On the
back of the clay rock, they carved their last name and room no. so I could
return them to them after they were fired and I had put a pin back on them.

I have had art nights for several years now. Another time we featured the
arts of Southeast Asia.I would be glad to share more ideas but I would have
to look in my files at school. You know the mind ain't what it used to be.
MJ