4th grade watercolor landscapes

---------

From: menichino (menichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 18:02:32 PST

Hi all --
I have our 4th graders paint watercolor landscapes to tie in with the Hudson
River School (being in New York, and all...). First day we do a wet on wet
sky and then colors on the ground that change from foreground to background.
These look great all by themselves, but I'd like them to be able to paint
"stuff" in the landscapes after the first day's work is dry. A majority of
the past attempts have resulted in fairly unskilled undetailed
first-grade-looking lollipop trees, boats that look more like driftwood,
well you get the idea. Any ideas to make the quality of the detail work
match the splendor of the backgrounds? Or am I asking too much of these
guys at this level....
Thanks for any help!
Liz in rural NY

---