abstract art

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 15:55:13 PST

It is weird and sometimes awkward to talk about (they
say things like "Picasso was on crack!",etc. I think
it is fine once in a while to let art confuse them a
little. I try to give opinions of critics, my own
opinions why the artist may have chosen to do what he
or she did,etc. For example, when I showed them Diego
y Yo by Frida Kahlo while teaching self portraiture,
they were so freaked out! They asked me such
insightful questions as: "Why does she have a
moustache and a unibrow?" (because she really did, and
she didn't try to change the truth on her portrait)
"Why is there a picture of a man on her forehead? Does
that mean she was thinking about him? Does the eye on
his forehead mean he was thinking about himself? Is
that why she's crying?" now I do understand that
abstract art can be way more "far out" than Kahlo, and
sometimes the kids can give you a blank stare and
shrug their shoulders, but it so worth it to show them
the art and see what kind of responses you will get,
because they can often be right on the money.
Jayna