Knockoffs (was NYC restaurants)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 12:23:47 PST

ejb35@columbia.edu wrote:

> <snip> If you plan to shop for knock off watches and Kate Spade
> etc. bags on Canal Street, watches are no more than $10 and I often
> get them for $8. Bags vary. Pradas, Spades, Fendi, Chanel all should
> be well under $20. Street vendors sell bags but don't get watches
> from them.

Jane,

Thanks for an exhaustive report! I'm already drooling over Pearl Paint,
whose ads I've seen, and the Chinatown paper supplies.

I must take issue with the issue of knockoffs, which are not licensed by
the designers. These are illegally manufactured and sold, and cheat the
designers out of revenue (not that any you mentioned are starving!).
These are fellow artists and we especially should respect their work.
It's no different than someone illegally copying a video, or selling
reproductions of your work without your knowledge or consent.

Maggie

---