RE: What is abstract art?

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 20:07:05 PST

I have found elementary kids are much more open to different forms of art
that the adults. We had Chi Watts a couple of years ago. The adults had the
usual "its not art" response. The kids first question was "does she do
calligraphy (sometimes referred to as that fancy writing on wedding things)
or "Does she know how to write in Japanese/Chinese?". I thought both
questions were very insightful. Chi was born and raised in Beijing. In her
artist statement (on the title panel but the kids did not read it) she talks
about how she uses the similar brush strokes as she was taught in
calligraphy in her artwork. BTW the kids did ID the writing as Japanese more
frequently than Chinese understandable since many have been stationed there
in the US Military bases. Goodfellow AFB has personnel from all US branches
training in languages, intelligence, and firefighting.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator