Abstract art

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 15:35:37 PST

I use Theo von Doesburg ( his name isn't in front of me, so I may have
misspelled it)
and his cow(bull) paintings to illustrate abstraction to my elementary
students. I compare it to the bull on the cave wall at Lascaux. Theo
does a good job demonstrating abstraction which, I feel, makes it easy
for the kids to understand the process. Then they make their own
abstractions. I think what is still difficult for them though, is
understanding why an artist would choose to paint in this way- They are
so
ingrained from their parents? with trying to have their art look like
something real
and very recognizable.
My 2 cents- Betsy

---