Re: Teaching the merits of abstract art

---------

From: Deb Mortl (dmortl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 09:42:31 PST

In High School I stress that most of the abstract artists started as
realists and then turned toward abstraction. Too many students like to use
"abstract" as an excuse for their laziness or lack of skill. Also, it's
easy to see the "artisitic" merit in say, Picasso's cubist period (with the
use of light/dark, transparency, etc. But then how do you explain Pollack's
splashes? I have a very good video called "Painters on Painting" and
Pollack, Frankenthaler, DeKooning, etc. are all talking about their work
kind of stream of consciousness and it explains a lot of their intent, but
also their struggle. Just becuase it looks "easy" doesn't mean it is!