Art Show Dilemma

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 09:30:48 PST

Each year I put up 4 art shows - K-2, 3-4, 5-6, and then Jr/Sr High Fine Arts Night. While I fully believe that art is equally important at each school I teach at, I am concerned that the quality of work at the K-2 show is really not there. I have them 20 minutes a week for art, and 20 min. twice a week for library. In library we learn about illustrators (my evil response to their cutting my art program *L*). During my library time we also have to check books in/out, which leaves appx. 10 minutes if I hurry them - not alot of time to work on anything. I have focused less and less on giving them practice time, and more time spent on the process. I have tried to explain to my administrator that they are still learning - the end product is just not as pleasing to look at. How would you all handle this? I am curious as to whether I should justify what I'm doing, or just let the parents think that this is typical work? It's frustrating to me as I look back on past projects that were beautiful, and now they are just blobs! I would love to get rid of the art show at this level, but I will definately hear about it if I didn't!
~Michal

---