Re: quick help needed...art schedules

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 09:14:33 PST

My middle school classes meet for 90 minutes twice a week, 45 minute once a
week (we're on block schedule w/ ABC days). I have 1/3 of the 7th grade and
1/3 of the 8th grade for 12 weeks, then I get a new bunch. When the 7th
graders are not in art they are in either Technology or Typing. 8th graders
go on to Kansas History (which is state required) and Wood Shop. This is the
first time in 7 years that I have liked the middle school setup. I have had
all of them for 45 minutes once a week, all the non-band students for 45
minutes a day, and now this. In my situation I personally would not be
opposed to having 1/2 the 7th graders for 1/2 the year (same for 8th) - it
seems when you are looking at a K-12 situation that the middle school kids
always get the shaft, so look out for them!
~Michal

> I would like to know how visual arts (and other art courses)are scheduled
at
> the junior high and high school level. At our school (Lima, Perú) all
> elementary students have a block (two 45 min. periods) a week. Now, the
> school has proposed that in the junior high, art should only be taught
half
> a year, and the other half music. I´d appreciate knowing other scheduling
> experiences before expressing my own opinion to the school.

---