Re: What is abstract art?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 06:11:57 PST

KPRS wrote:

> I also want to say that not all non representational art is abstract
> art according to my definitions, and I was wondering what the words
> "abstract art" mean to those of you who teach it.

San D,

Here is how I define abstract art to my students:

Abstract--the elements of an object are more severely distorted, broken
down ("cut apart"), and rearranged. Some recognizable elements still
remain.

This stage is the third in a series of four; they work with one object
for the series and gradually break it down visually into nonobjective.
The stages are Realistic, Stylized, Abstract, Nonobjective.

Maggie

---