Kids without art supplies

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 04:27:04 PST

One of our staff members belongs to a local service club. This club provides
school supplies for students that do not have them. Each year I donate some
money toward this supply box that he keeps in his room. Does your community
have any service clubs for youth? Check around. I bet you could come up with
some $$$ to provide supplies to those who do not bring them.

Personally, I never have told a child they can not do the art project if
they do not have supplies. When students forget a pencil in my class --there
is a consequence (2 points off behavior grade and a warning in the "Naughty
Book")--but I give them one to use.

My heart goes out to all of you who teach in schools that do not adequately
fund your program (My students pay a fee so I have all the supplies I
need...Well almost....you know me--I do spend my own money from time to
time). I count my blessings!

Judy Decker

---