teaching in nyc

---------

From: Paulette Keck (tcsfp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 20:15:36 PST

Hi there everyone-

Last spring I wrote to the list stating that I was going to chuck it all in The-middle-of-nowhere, Ohio and move to NYC. I asked for advice on finding a teaching position and a lot of people told me that I should reconsider. They had some very valid points, but my decision was made.

I've been extremely busy since I got here in August and had vowed that I wouldn't seriously post to the list till I got caught up with all the e-mails. (I usually hovered between 500 - 1700.) Well, today is finally the happy day, so I may never shut up again.

While I did get a job, I had to move from 8th grade (my favorite) to K-5 (my least favorite) and it has been really hard for me to be motivated. I don't have one of those killer situations like I've been reading about (thank God), in fact its an easier schedule. A shorter day than in Ohio, and NO lunch duty (woohoo!!!!!) Don't get me wrong, all the warnings I got about no supplies, no art room, overcrowding, no discipline support, etc. have appeared with a vengeance, but I've got a pretty good grip on classroom management . The weird part has been trying to figure out how New York City does anything. Its sometimes unbelievable. I also have a second job across town from 5:30 - 9:30 every night because I've been waiting for the paperwork to be processed so I can receive my full salary. All this adds up to @ 6 hours of sleep a night during the week, no time to experience New York, frustration adjusting to the new age level, lack of supplie! s and being turned into a sub half the time, and zippo desire to spend much extra time on a job that drives me nuts.

Which is why I am so excited that this conference is going to be right here. I am actually inspired again. This is the only place I see sincere and useful encouragement in the arts.

Thanks! and see many of you soon,

Paulette