Re: I need the wisdom of the sages: Reply

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 18:29:15 PST

> I think you also have to ask yourself, do I really enjoy working with
> these kids? They can be such brats sometimes. But there are some really
good
> kids that make it worth it for me. But it's not only the kids. It's the
whole
> school thing, the bells, the administration, the teacher's lounge,
> colleagues, lunch, school politics, I ask myself, do I really like this
> routine every day?

Now that you mention it, I do like the whole "school thing." I actually
like the structure it adds to my life. I enjoy the students, my colleagues,
my hectic schedule . . . all of it. However, in the beginning, it was more
stressful and annoying. After ten years, I let the little things go, and I
enjoy all the rewards, the kids, the friends, and sometimes someone lets me
know I'm appreciated. I'm lucky, though, I've got a great principal,
considerate colleagues, and decent kids (and they don't have to be, they
have their share of problems at home). In general, most everyone cares.
One final note, unless I have a situation that needs to be, and can be
rectified, I try to rid myself of complaints and negative thoughts. This is
easier said than done, I'm not the perky naive type, but doing it has helped
me a lot. BTW, has anyone read the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by
Stephen Covey? It has some useful ideas.

leah

---