an interesting discussion

---------

From: Aaron and Jennifer (THEGREEN99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 16:06:46 PST

Some of my students are putting on an art show (under my guidance). One of
the guidelines for the show was "only subjects that you can do in school."
For instance, we can't have guns in school. Therefore pictures of guns would
not be allowed. As usual, there was two pieces that ran pretty close to that
border. One piece had two creatures about to fight with swords. Nicely done,
a little small for my taste, but decent technique.

In any case, I showed it to my art show students and asked if it was
acceptable. What a debate! We got into how titles help define the artwork
and how art reflects life, our thoughts and feelings. Then we discussed what
violence actually was. Was it merely an act or could tools (like guns or
swords) reflect violence as well? When do we draw the line at violence? Do
we wait for the act to be committed? Or does a threat suffice as violence?
They never came to a decision. So I told the girls to go home and discuss
with their parents. On Monday we will come to a decision.

After all these shootings and kids bringing guns to school, it gave me
confidence that our future is not in the hands of loonies. There are some
kids out there who actually have a head on their shoulders.

Just thought I would share...

Jennifer in Michigan

---