Re: Jewelry curriculum-Bone Carving

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 22:26:46 PST

I came across a really interesting book--"Bone Carving--A Skillbase of
Techniques and Concepts by Stephen Myhre. He's a New Zealander--presents
a good deal of information about the history of bone carving throughout
the Pacific--largely fishhooks. He explains very clearly how to treat
beef shank bone to get a good carvable matrial. He also goes into detail
about creating and using carving tools. I was thinking of incorporating
small carved bone pieces into jewelry. Sid
PS. He also speaks to the spiritual and ritualistic nature of repeating
native images, and how copying them is inappropriate--similar discussion
to ours in the past

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko Junior High School #
# 777 Country Club Drive #