Re: Egypt/Mummification Info/Jayna

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 15:51:58 PST

I was given an
>article last year about a MODERN mummification - a donated cadaver was
>mummified to try to understand/emulate Egyptian techniques.

I have a video of that modern mummification. It ran on Discovery a couple of
months ago. A really good program as it was aimed at kids.

Showed them gathering all the materials for the mummification, what
temperature the body had to be kept at, etc.

Also showed them removing the brain and internal organs. The girls thought
it was gross, but the boys loved it.

Another interesting fact: they mummified the cadaver according to the
ancient texts, but when the time was up, the mummy was still a little
"gushy" so they added more time. But then they discovered that they couldn't
bend the joints anymore and determined that the Egyptians stopped the
process a few days early so they could still bend the joints.

Donald Peters