Cave Painting Books - elementary

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 13:21:04 PST

I’m putting together a bibliography for teachers about cave paintings for an
unit I’m writing (as sample loan kit). What books do you recommend on the
elementary level? I need mostly fact books, but would like some fun to read
fiction books that teachers would work into a cross-curricular unit. Also do
you have any info on “home made” paints that are save for kids to make?

Here are the related themes
LA – Fiction and Non-fiction

Science – Eco systems/preservation of art (how did humans alter the
environment of the caves and what effect did that have on the art)

Social Studies archeology – how do we know about prehistory how do our own
viewpoints and opinions affect the way we interpret the evidence.

Math – Area and problem solving (We are going to make a large temporary
mural in X space how much paper do we need, but our work space is only X big
how do we solve that, how much space does each person get to use?)

Art – interpreting the work, how did they make paint, experimenting with
“home made” paint, creating the mural

Kimberly Herbert ( kimberly@wcc.net <mailto:kimberly@wcc.net> )
CAM Administrator