sage wisdom

---------

From: Christine Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 04:52:15 PST

Hi All

Although "the jury is still out" on whether teaching is my thing (Id
rather work with materials or at least fewer students) my impossible
job now seems more manageable, thanks to those personal and list
have tried to pick out a few of the practical suggestions to try. May
I share a few of them with you?

1 Work directly from an established curriculum for respite (we
have no provincial art curriculum so I may work directly from Hume ,
or Hobbs & Salome). Although I realize this is not a scholarly
approach to teaching it affords some rest.
2 Let the students gather/prepare/put away the materials -
difficult in a shared, overcrowded, "regular" classroom, but the
effort to an bring in an other table to better lay things out may be
worth the effort. Maybe I can also carve out some room for me. I
think that overcrowding is one cause of my frustration.
3 Plan more in-depth projects - sounds good but this is where
your experience helps you. With entry level (yes, at gr. 10 & 11)
yakky students & limited materials/space (no stone carving), and so
much they need to know first, I have a hard time turning their
attention on how to develop their work. I may do too much thinking
for them. Are there suggestions on how to better do this?

I will keep you posted. I look forward to next week's visit with the
counselor .

Thank you so much! - christene

--
Rob and Christene Sandeson