Re: Egypt/Mummification Info/Jayna

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 17:49:37 PST

Steffie, Could it be the National Geographic? Seems I read an article
like that too - could be the same.

And you WOULD have to say FOOD for thought! I sat down to eat a
sandwich while I read the posts. So much for the sandwich!

Good information.

----------
>From: "S Krause" <frostyoranges@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Egypt/Mummification Info/Jayna
>Date: Tue, Mar 6, 2001, 2:15 PM

> Jayna et al,
 Speaking of talking to kids about mummification techniques - I was
given an article last year about a MODERN mummification - a donated
cadaver was mummified to try to understand/emulate Egyptian
techniques. The experiment was a resounding success - modern mummy
created! There's an update on the brain removal technique - it seems
that it wasn't pulled out with a hook as some have surmised. Rather,
it was essentially liquefied and poured out through the nose. A hook
(pole - etc - I can't remember what exactly) was inserted through the
nasal cavity into the skull, manipulated around to pulverize the
brain, and the brain mush was drained out of the nose. They also
describe the body's drying process. FASCINATING article (though boy
oh boy, I started to read it during lunch - quickly lost my appetite),
but unfortunately I can't find my copy right now, so I can't tell you
what magazine it was from - possibly Smithsonian or Natural History?
When I do, I'll post info as to where it's from. There's got to be
info on the web
> about it somewhere! And I'm posting to the best of my recollection - I know
> there are details that I'm doubtless leaving out or forgetting. But food
> for thought (oh...maybe I shouldn't have used "food" there)...
> Stephanie

---