Re: Egypt/Mummification Info/Jayna

---------

From: S Krause (frostyoranges_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 11:15:22 PST

Jayna et al,
Speaking of talking to kids about mummification techniques - I was given an
article last year about a MODERN mummification - a donated cadaver was
mummified to try to understand/emulate Egyptian techniques. The experiment
was a resounding success - modern mummy created! There's an update on the
brain removal technique - it seems that it wasn't pulled out with a hook as
some have surmised. Rather, it was essentially liquefied and poured out
through the nose. A hook (pole - etc - I can't remember what exactly) was
inserted through the nasal cavity into the skull, manipulated around to
pulverize the brain, and the brain mush was drained out of the nose. They
also describe the body's drying process. FASCINATING article (though boy oh
boy, I started to read it during lunch - quickly lost my appetite), but
unfortunately I can't find my copy right now, so I can't tell you what
magazine it was from - possibly Smithsonian or Natural History? When I do,
I'll post info as to where it's from. There's got to be info on the web
about it somewhere! And I'm posting to the best of my recollection - I know
there are details that I'm doubtless leaving out or forgetting. But food
for thought (oh...maybe I shouldn't have used "food" there)...
Stephanie

---