Re: Calligraphy books

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 21:27:55 PST

gregjuli@execpc.com wrote:

> HI Maggie,
> I need books that are more display-type than manuals. Although both wouldn't
> be bad, since our library has none.
> MaryB

Mary,

Here are two books my students really enjoy looking at:

Calligraphy Alphabets Made Easy, Margaret Shepherd, Perigee Books 1986,
ISBN #0-399-51527-8. There are 365 different alphabets in here! Each
shows the type of nib to use, correct angle to hold the pen, and the
sizing information.

Calligraphic Styles, Tom Gourdie, Taplinger Publishing, 1979,
#0-8008-1181-X. I picked this up at a used book store. These are more
traditional styles.

Using Calligraphy, Shepherd, Collier Books, 1986, #0-02-081970-6. This
has the basic alphabets and some neat project ideas.

Advanced Calligraphy, Diana Hoare, Chartwell Books, 1989, #1-55521-522.
More advanced projects, including using gold leaf.

If I only could choose two books, it would be the two Shepherd books.
Her books are generally very useful.

Maggie

---