Re: Frustrated in Michigan-need HS lessons.

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 21:28:30 PST

I agree Ken - I just finished scratchboard with both my middle school
classes and they loved it! Since I have the kids for such a short amount of
time (12 weeks) I tried a new angle this year, which was very successful.
Since I am introducing my 7/8th grades to a vast number of mediums in this
short time I found the quality of the work was suffering. This year I had
the 8th Graders draw "The Scream" using a black & white line drawing to look
from. I made 2 copies of each student's work, as they would be using these
to trace. First they colored these using oil pastels/cooking oil - imagine
their surprise when AFTER they were finished I showed them the original! *L*
Then we traced our drawings on tooling foil, then on to scratchboard - I
used the white scratcboard with the multi colored background. These turned
out fantastic, and every student felt successful! This one package of
scratchboard will last me for at least 2 years, as I cut them in half and
had the students working on a 5"x7" format. We also traced these onto the
scratch foam board and printed them off onto marbled paper.
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>>If you can afford it, scratchboard is a fun and a easy way to see good
results. Use a good scratchboard like Canson or Essdee. I use exacto
knives
to scratch the black off and they work great. If you need some slides of
student work I can send them to you.

---