Re: Identity

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 18:13:51 PST

You know what you said about the faculty is true. When I
first came to the school I'm at, I would not respond in
Spanish when the Spanish teachers would talk in Spanish
(now mind you - this is the only way I can communicate
with my own mother.)I felt I was being rude to those
around me who could not understand.

In December I elected to take a Spanish comprehensive at
the 5000 level in place of a research class (which would
show I could research in another language.) The kids at
school knew I was doing this - and they told one of the
Spanish teachers - who told them I wasn't fluent in
Spanish - hmmmm!

Needless to say - I passed,(2nd one done), but here's the
best part - we had a choice of either a translation on
Society and AIDS or one on Frida Kahlo - I guess I would
have been able to translate that without knowing
Spanish;P

Anyway - isn't it funny how we identify ourselves and
with whom? I love my heritage, but part of my identity is
that of an ART TEACHER!

Vivian

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy