Egypt

---------

From: Beth Goodwin (bgood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 15:17:26 PST

I did an Egyptian unit w/6th grade as did many of you. We made the clay cartouches with their names and also did a scratch design stressing texture and pattern. I ordered some gold scratch board last year and they are wild about it. Both of these came our really well. We also watched two videos, a Reading Rainbow "Mummies Made in Egypt" and Prince of Egypt. I suppose some of you wouldn't be able to get away with Prince of Egypt if your school considers it a religious film, but no one has complained about it to me and it was a good way to end this. Since some students were finished earlier than others, we took the last two 1/2 days to watch and work at the same time. We began with the Mummies video and my focus w/the kids was to let them see some art careers they may not know about. (Actually they probably don't know many!) They show a curator, art restorers, forensic artist, and I think something else - can't remember right now. Also, telling them about the art background for animation in Prince. THen in the Prince of Egypt video, I had them write/draw motifs, colors, Egyptian profiles, etc. that they saw in the movie and that they remembered we learned about and we discussed that. Even those who had seen the movie enjoyed it again, sang along w/the tunes, and got very caught up in the drama of it all. One boy burst out, very distressed "They shouldn't beat the old people!" ,so even if it was a commercial movie, at least it affected some of them emotionally, and I didn't feel guilty about showing it. Feel free to disagree.

---