Re: Jill (BT) Egypt stuff

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 15:03:03 PST

Jill, sorry I don't have your email address, please
email me back so I can put it in my Yahoo address
book. Maybe this will benefit the whole group.
With my sixth graders last semester, we began our
Egypt unit with a sort of story telling about how
people were mummified (I went to Egypt in '99),
students then made sarcophagi from clay and mummies
from paper mache and painted them both. I have also
done mummies made from plaster gauze wrapped around
newspaper and sarcophagi made from shoeboxes spray
painted gold. These can be adorned with old costume
jewelry and filled with clay containers -you know, the
ones holding the oils and spices and body organs! Kids
love love love talking about the goriness of
mummifying techniques- complete with the hook in the
nose to pull out the brains. We also spent a class
period learning how to write in heiroglyphics, and I
made a handout with drawings of common Egyptian
symbols, ie. the bird, scarab, goose, eye, snake, and
what a sarcophagus might look like, so they would have
an idea of how to paint the sarcophagus. Oh yeah, I
almost forgot, they also studied the Egyptian canon
for drawing people and painted a self portrait on
brown paper. We hung them around the room in a row-
very tomb-like! It was fun and the whole thing lasted
about a month. Email me privately for more info if
necessary.
Jayna