Re: 2-week Art Camp ideas for 3-5 grade?

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 12:53:50 PST

some of the ideas I used for summer art camp were Safari Day-construct a paper 3D jungle,Castles and dragons day-build a sugar cube castle, nature day-go out with baggies and collest 10 things-come back in and sketch them, then paint, down under day-australian xray pictures passports etc-with the younger ones it seemed to work better by the day-the first day I got cheap painter hats at home Depot and decorated with permanent markers and name cards.Barb

  artrageous@bigfoot.com wrote:

I may be teaching at a 4 period per day, 2-week summer art camp for students in grades 1-8. The groups are divided into 1-2, 3-5, and 5-8. (The 5th grade kids who are in the largest group can choose from either set of offerings. The program is actually comprised of two 2-week sessions, but at this point I can only commit to one session.)

This is a well-established program with lots of teachers, and we can choose the themes for each period and group. I have ideas for the older kids, but I'm not sure what I might offer for the younger ages. Each period meets for approximately an hour each day for 9 days (the last day is for presentations).

Can anyone suggest some good theme-based activities for younger students? (I'm not certain if I'd be teaching younger ones, but I'm trying to pitch several ideas and then let the program coordinator choose, based on the projected needs.)

Thanks for your help!

Sharon
EMAIL: artrageous@bigfoot.com