Re: Why Do All the Black Kids Sit

---------

From: Curt James (curt_james_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 12:05:05 PST

Subject: Re: Why Do All the Black Kids Sit

Vivian replied to Gabrielle:
" Why Do All the Black Kids Sit

do you think the black kids ask why
do all the white kids

sit together??"

Could be.....

"Just wondering
keep the peace
\gabrielle"

Gabrielle,

The book actually addresses many ethnic
identities (including Cuban, which I am,
and had not seen a book address this other
than saying Spanish or Hispanic)and where
our identities come from. Check to see if
your library has one. I saw it by chance
last year at our local bookstore on a
table celebrating Black History Month.

And at our school - our kids seem to mix
at lunch, so I don't know why they sit
where they sit - or if they care - as long
as they do get a seat - we are overcrowded
at lunch - even with 3 lunch periods!
(2200+ kids - that's a lot of lunches -
except for the kids that skip and go to
the golden arches*J*

Keep Keeping the Peace,
Vivian

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time
a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to
improve the lot of others, or strikes out
against injustice, he sends forth a tiny
ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy
I remember when I was in the Navy the
different groups who would sit together.
The groups were often separated by race,
but there was also separation by occupation.

The engineers would sit with the engineers,
clerical would sit with clerical, operations
with operations, and it would even break
down into boiler techs in this area and
machinist's mates at another table while
the hull technicians sat with other HTs.

Why do any of us choose the people we sit
with or associate with? Comfort, availability,
proximity, familiarity, similar interests,
shared experiences?

I sit in the art room by necessity. The
kids want in there!!!

--