Re: I need the wisdom of the sages

---------

From: barb cicchelli (bcriverspirit_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 07:20:32 PST

You have a tremendous amount of stress going on but here are a few hints from the land ot the fat but fit bundle of nerves that i am-I jog-I call it jogging-others call it walking -on my lunch hr-I have 45 min lunch-and jog for 30-go about 2 miles-thru the neighborhoods around my schools-and actually strange as this may seem-this has fostered good community relations-I guess the parents like to see a sweaty art teacher trying to get in shape-also taking an art class can force you to keep producing work-did this when my kids were little to keep going-now I try to schedule a one woman gallery show for some months down the road-I still seem to waste time and have to work like mad the closer it gets but at least I have to get something done -to get to this point-my 1st one woman shows were in unlikely places-like the library and the town hall-to a co-op gallery-to a real gallery now...and you know you will be less stressed if you can get some art work done-it is another great emo!
tional release..good luck..Barb

  Christine Sandeson <c.sandeson@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
Hi all

I have given considerable thought lately to my future as an art
teacher in public schools. I have not checked this list for some
time because I have not had the time to become involved with it, but
now I would dearly appreciate some feedback on a point - one that may
be of concern to only a few list members.

I yearn to have my life as an artist back. As such I have zero time
to engage in any of my media, as my .5 position teaching grade 10 &
11 art is consuming my time, thought and energy. Mind you this is not
all negative. There are many wonderful aspects of being a teacher:
association with and support among colleagues, access to current
relevant information, stimulating material to work with, financial
benefits ... . There are challenges which I have not yet managed
such as the building of my personal classroom management skills,
which will take time to build. I am planning to see a counsellor to
help me sort things out, because I am consumed with the amount of
work that is needed to prepare and implement this job.

I happened upon this job quite accidentally, and to shorten this
letter, let me say that it was literally handed to me a year and
a-half ago. Prior to that time I had spent over 20 years engaged in
painting/sculpting activity, which I loved but which I recognized was
in need of a directional shift. To accept the .5 position of teaching
seemed like a wonderful opportunity. I'm 47 years old with 2
teenagers and a husband working through chemotherapy.

In a practical sense, the job is a gift, because I need the income,
but I need to stop working so hard at it in order to survive. I need
to recover my art making. I'd love to take a weekday morning to walk
the dog. I feel trapped by the schedule. Am I alone in feeling this
way? Are there words of wisdom you can offer? It is probably easier
to live with doubt than to take action, and many are the days when I
stuff this concern deep within myself, but I know you are a group
with varied experiences and someone reading this may empathize.

christene

--
Rob and Christene Sandeson
Teacher & Artist