RE: Frustrated in MI - need HS lessons.

---------

From: Julie Brady (7.jbrady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 05:08:08 PST

 Hi!

This is Julie in Michigan, where in MI are you? I am just finishing a
caricature lesson with my 6th graders that I think would be fun for your
group. We start out my drawing portraits. I go through all the
proportions
and how to draw a basic "mannequin" face. Then we use mirrors and do a
second portrait, but this time put our own features in. Once we have a
good
self portrait, I have them draw a 2 inch (paper is 10x12) grid over the
top.
On a second piece of paper, we draw another grid with the same number of
lines (4 vertical, 5 horizontal), but this time the lines are wavy
(large
waves work best). They then transfer the drawing square by square,
distorting the portrait with the distorted grid lines. Outline the
distorted portrait in permanent fine point marker, then erase the wavy
grid.
We use complementary color pairs, eg: purple for the face and hair (good
value exercise), and yellow for the background in some creative pattern.
The kids love the results, they have fun and learn a great deal about
protrait drawing, shadows, colors and values. Good luck!

Julie

    I teach one hour of Beg. Art in the high school then off to two
different elementaries. I need some easy, full proof, lessons where the
kids feel
successful..... All I hear is "I want to draw (better) not all this
other
stuff you have been doing.....

Thanks.....Jean in Michigan ---

---