needing suggestions

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 18:54:40 PST

Hi!
I'm introducing a new lesson on Thursday and I need
some suggestions, please. I've decided to have my 7th
and 8th graders do a composition dealing with positive
and negative shapes that overlap. They will be making
a template by drawing a contour drawing of an object
with an interesting shape (I did a comb for example)on
tagboard, then cutting it out and tracing it four or
five times on white drawing paper (overlapping them).
Here's where I am having trouble making up my mind.
How should I have them finish it? The sixth graders
will be doing basically the same thing, except they
will be doing organic shapes of nothing in particular
(mainly because of the high volume of special ed in
6th grade) and filling in spaces with patterns, using
Sharpies. I want the older kids to have more of a
chalenge, as I have seen this lesson done with fourth
and fifth graders. I am working on one of my own (the
comb) and I plan to use watercolors, with different
values in an analogous color scheme, the darker values
lying where the most shapes overlap, if that makes
sense. I feel that it will be too challenging for my
regular 7th and 8th, but I plan to have advanced 8th
do this. Can anyone think of something somewhere
inbetween for the rest of them to do? I've considered
using only pencil and working with value changes, but
I ma concerned with the finished product looking
plain, and my students might get bored. I try to avoid
making them bored at all costs! Still waiting for more
suplies to arrive (has the order even been processed
by our overworked bookkeeper?). Our colored pencils
are about an inch and a half long and our markers
don't work. My scissors are separated, you know, the
blades don't meet, and my students claim that the
stuff we are using is "ghetto"- its a favorite word to
use to slam our school in general. Considering our
lack of supplies, any help you all might have would be
greatly appreciated!
Jayna