Re: I need the wisdom of the sages

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 13:39:09 PST

In a message dated 03/04/2001 12:41:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us writes:

> Teaching art is the one job in which you can "do" art while you are working.
> Can't think of another off the top of my head except graphics/animation but
> there you have deadline pressures. Teaching allows more freedom than most
> other professions...especially teaching art. Sometimes the simple fact of
> making samples for the students gives you release...other times working on
> your own stuff if you have classes that are self-motivated enough to work on

This is soooooooo true. I do alot of my projects with my students to show
them the steps and to do it myself. I wish I could take my own class and
just work on art but I can't and I do the steps with them. sometimes I finish
a piece and give it to a collegue or take it home but it satisfys my need to
create somewhat.

Bunki's right about the classroom control. It comes with experience and time
as well as the knowledge that you have something important to teach them and
that they are lucky to have you and that you are important to their lives and
social experiences. Confidence is very easy to read and they will see it in
you and respect you and work for you.

Hang in there, after 30 years this is much easier than it was in 1970.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA

---