Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Women's History Month!!!

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 07:55:16 PST

Hey women - We have our own month now, too. And yes, this does relate to
art....How many of you remember learning about WOMEN Renaissance artists in
college (If you went to college in the 70's---you are probably in the same
boat as me--There were no women discussed)? This list is by no means
comprehensive. Please post additional Women's History sites you have found.
I am assigning a homework assignment about women in the arts for my new
group of students (we are on trimesters)

Check out some of these links:

National Women's History Museum
Table of Contents:

Celebrate Women's History,1156,22-5181,00.html

This page has a link to "printables"-- coloring pages of Women heroes.,1120,22-12467,00.html

History of the American Suffragist Movement

Women's suffrage--pictures

Women's Suffrage and the 19th Amendment

National Museum of Women in the Arts

Women in Art

Women Artists (there are some interesting links on this page, too)

Books on Women Artists:

Sonoma State University

Women Artists of the American West

Women Art and Society (site by Mary Ann Sullivan--Bluffton College)

Distinguished Women Past and Present:

Women Artists: Self Portraits and Representations of Womanhood

Crossing the Threshold (20th Century women artists --age 70 to 95)

Women Artists - Medieval to Modern (has links to images by 700 women
artists) University of Wisconsin--River Falls
I would suggest using the alphabetical listing with students

Artcyclopedia-- Women artists chronological listing

Australian Women's Art Registrar

Women Artists in Canada

Women Artist in Mexico

Women Artists from Getty ArtsEdNet

In the Artist's Footsteps (Women of Australia---this link from Gina Grant)

"The history of all times, and of today especially, teaches that... women
will be forgotten if they forget to think about themselves." ~ Louise

Have fun surfing!

Judy Decker