Re: Identity Projects

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 00:56:45 PST

What about a current events debate project? For example, what are the
implications when one culture sets out to obliterate another's identity?

I'm thinking here of the Taliban's (Afghanistan) attempts to destroy the
Buddha figures carved into rock, dating back 2000 years or so, in Bamiyan.
This is part of the country's cultural heritage, and although the
population is now muslim, does it have the right to destroy this part of
its history.

Of course there are other current examples, Bosnia and parts of Africa, but
the above comes to mind in terms of art and artifacts.

Just a thought.
Cheryl

---