Re: Frustrated in Michigan-need HS lessons.

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 00:05:22 PST

Here's a lesson I did with my "niners" last semester:

Initials as Design

Art History: Escher (Scholastic Art, Nov 2000)
The students read this in class. However, the following is not a
tessellation project.

Homework Assignment:
Create four thumbnail sketches, using first and last initial.
The two initials must merge, overlap, or in some manner be joined.
The initials must be shapes, not just a line.
Show the outside border for each design, and have the initials touch the
borders to break up the negative space.

Classroom Assignment:
The students selected their best design and re-drew / enlarged it onto a 6
x 6" square. They used either a mirror image repeat (flip left to right,
top down and right to left) or a central pivot (the right lower corner, of
the 6" square, is the pivot point and remains in the center) to trace the
design 4 times onto a 12" square piece of paper.
Some color theories were introduced at this point (warm/cool,
complimentary, tints/shades, etc) The students then used acrylic paints to
complete the designs, using whichever color theory they felt would enhance
it best.

If your students don't like painting, this could be done in colored pencil
as well. Hope this helps.

Cheryl

On Sun, 04 Mar 2001, Jean in Michigan wrote:
> I teach one hour of Beg. Art in the high school . . .
> Really having a tough time this second semester, not the most
>motivated group....
> I need some easy, full proof, lessons where the kids feel
>successful. PLEASE, any ideas would be appreciated, . . .

---