Re: remembering names/just ask

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 21:19:09 PST

I have problems remembering names and it is a daily struggle but I
just ask.

I was at a crowded function and a young man 6' 200lbs. with 20 Lbs. of
Dread Locks and beautiful African Garb was very attentive and I had no
clue who he was. Finally when he walked me to my car he called me by
name I had to apologize and ask. He pulled back the hair so I could
see more of his face and announced, "It's me Mrs. Henneborn." and gave
the name of a slight boy I had had in Middle School who wore Izod
shirts, short hair, and was very shy. I could see the resemblance but
how they do change!

I do explain to the kids that I have difficulty and ask their help at
the beginning of the year. I tell them not to take it personally
because I can't remember my husbands name when I have something I need
to keep on my mind. There is just not enough room in my mind for 2
things. Sometimes there will be a student who positions himself next
to me on the carpet and just fills in names in a soft voice when I
hesitate. (We have instructions on the carpet at the front of the room
then go to work at the "studio" tables.) when I can't remember a name
I ask, "Help me out with your name, please."

I have had a severe head injury that required almost a year in
cognitive rehab relearning to do things like dress myself and
recalling words and putting words in order both speech and writing,
dialing a telephone etc. One of the things I learned there was to ask
and not feel embarrassment. Coming back to work after that year was a
real struggle. I learned not to mask and just lay the cards on the
table when I was struggling. I don't think I have offended anyone by
just asking them to remind me who they are.

When the irritating ones ask "guess who" or "Do you remember my name?"
I usually respond with, "Rumplestilskin"! and try to be nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>From: cemy@att.net
>Subject: Re: remembering names
>Date: Sat, Mar 3, 2001, 1:43 PM

> Idem.
> I've been known to have a 2-hour conversation at a
> homecoming game and not knowing who I was talking to
> until I got home and went through a yearbook. I had
> placed his graduating class by the names he dropped. But
> he had gone from 125-lb. to 200lbs. of muscle plus 10
> years.
> Myriam

>> But all my past students know that if they pass my way again, they have
>> to give me a hint (like their name) because 28 years X 200 students in 3
>> high schools, well, let's put it this way, my hard drive of a brain is
>> out of memory.

>> San D

---