Re: schedules

---------

From: Fran Marze (fmaiu+_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 16:50:15 PST

Just a note to tell you about my schedule. I have to get up at 5 am, take
care of a bedridden husband so he is set up while I am at work. He needs
insulin shots, fed (he can eat finger food so can eat his sandwich at
lunch, etc. etc. let's not go into details. Feed the dog, and be at the
high school by 6:45 am. (Is this nuts? I feel like I should also milk some
cows) Sometimes we have meetings, staffings (about particular students) If
not, then we do work in our rooms until we have to be in the halls at
7:30. Classes start at 7:45. i do not have a first period as I am dept
chair and have meetings or other paperwork to do. I have five preps. This
semester --a new course Graphic Design where I am teaching a software I am
learning! We had to do a curriculum night a few weeks ago and the five of
us art teachers set up an exhibit and curriculum night in the main
cafeteria for the ninth grade night. Of course we moved all the tables,
chairs ourselves. No help there. And then after all the other teachers
left, we had another hour and a half, putting all the art work away and
helping put the chairs and tables back in order. Go figure on that one.

Our day ends officially at 2:45 but we rarely leave at that time as there
is cleanup, display work, you know the drill. I take written work home to
do a lot but sometimes go in on a SAt. to do extra things as i am too
tired at the end of the day. We also go in during the summer to unpack
supplies and try and find room in our very tiny rooms.

I am co sponsor of art honor society and we have meetings at least once a
month and i have things to do to prepare for this as the students like to
do projects so I or my co sponsor may have to do shopping. Our students do
an UNPAPER and Ihave to give them a hand with the layout and advice for
this.

We worked on a big committee for Scholastics and that took both a SAt. and
a Monday inservice as well as hours at home doing paperwork. I now have a
student who is doing a tile mural for our new Steeler stadium so i
anticipate some extra hours there helping me.

I am happy teaching art again after teaching English for 12 years (that's
a whole different kettle of fish.) Of course, at home, I have to do
everything now. I find it crazy that i can fix toilets, mow the lawn ,
etc. things I didn't do as a young woman when I had a healthy husband and
five young sons who as teenagers did a lot of that stuff.

I try and have nights out to the movies or to Pops or Musicals or dinner
with friends. I also don't have a problem taking naps when I get too tired
before I get sick. I don't take as many days off as many of the younger
people so maybe that helps.

I don't get to bed at night until 11:30 so you see, the naps are
essential.

I think teaching does take a lot of energy and the necessity of a lot of
humor and not taking yourself too seriously. I try to learn new things all
the time and am a little sorry that I will not have too many more years of
teaching.

Did I mention that I hate to file? All that paper gets to me.

To all friends in artsednet land, I hope everyone can look at the big
picture and realize that none of us can do it all and try and take care of
yourselves.

Fran

---