Re: How would your school handle this? (discipline question--not art related)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 13:35:50 PST

JKGIBB1@aol.com wrote:

> There seems to be trouble brewing in our middle school between two
> groups--those considered "preppy" and those considered "hood-y" (for lack of
> better descriptions). <snip>

> We are a small rural school district with about 500 students in grades 6-8.
> We have had no major problems in the past, but there seems to be growing
> incidents of fighting, disrespect, etc. (Principal is very lax with
> discipline!)
>
> My question is: How would YOUR school handle a threatening "hit list" put in
> someone's locker? (One teacher thinks he knows who wrote the list, because
> he recognizes the boy's printing and lettering style.)

Yow, the description of your school district is JUST like those where
all the school shootings have been! Hasn't anyone there noticed that
none of the tragedies occured in cities, but in rural areas? If no
one's reported it to the local police, it should be done right away, and
if not by your lackadaisacal principal, then by you.

My school district takes these things very seriously, though we have a
policy of not allowing the schools' routines to be disrupted.

Maggie

---